“The Little Mermaid,” dives into the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection with all-new bonus features and a sing-along mode. The magical, musical tale of mermaid princess Ariel—along with loveable sidekicks Sebastian and Flounder, and the love-to-hate sea witch Ursula—is shore to make a splash with all generations when it comes home for the first time Digitally in HD, 4K Ultra HDand Movies Anywhere on Feb. 12, and on 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray™on Feb. 26.
The Signature Edition of “The Little Mermaid” showcases its award-winning musical score and iconic songs such as “Under the Sea” and “Part of Your World” with a sing-along mode allowing you to accompany this beloved cast of characters on their journey. Never-before-seen bonus features bring legendary composer Alan Menken and some of Disney’s most recognizable leading ladies together around a piano to reminisce, sing and celebrate “The Little Mermaid.”
The film was originally released in theaters on Nov. 15, 1989, and is the 28th film from Walt Disney Animation Studios, and the first in what many described as a new Disney animation renaissance.
“The Little Mermaid” is the seventh title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. The film takes its place alongside “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Bambi,” “The Lion King” and “Lady and the Tramp.”
ALL-NEW BONUS FEATURES: BLU-RAY & DIGITAL
- Sing-Along Mode
- Sing along to the movie in this sing-along version of the film.
- Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song
- From the voice of a mermaid to the tunes of a muse, the music of Alan Menken has scored the soundtrack for some of Disney’s most iconic leading ladies. Join Alan, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas Singing Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel)as we celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all…“The Little Mermaid.”In this discussion, the ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
- “What I Want From You…Is YOUR VOICE”
- Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of “The Little Mermaid” in their original recording sessions.
- Stories From Walt’s Office Gadgets & Gizmos
- Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired the invention of audio-animatronics. We take a look at some of the collections that Walt kept in his office in the third episode of this series.
- Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series “Coop and Cami Ask the World” as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.”
DCapella“Part of Your World”Music Video
- Classic Bonus Features
- Revisit four exciting bonus features from previous releases including deleted Character: Harold The MermanoUnder The Scene: The Art Of Live Action ReferenceoHoward’s LectureoAudio Commentary With Ron Clements, John Musker, and Alan Menken
- Digital Exclusives
- “Part of Your World” -A 30-Year Retrospective–Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney “I Want” songs “Part of Your World” and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
- Classic Bonus Features
- Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!
Connect on Social
Please see these Disney-designed activities for you and your family, or get creative and bring the film to life!
Grab your copy of The Little Mermaid on Amazon.
Disclosure: This blog did not receive any compensation for this publication. All thoughts and opinions are my own.