Halloween is near, so the need for spooky treats has hit my family hard!
We are looking for an opportunity to mix up a bunch of ghoulish goodness to share with friends! If you too want to share something dramatically delicious this Halloween season, you are going to love this recipe for Bloody Cupcakes!
While the name might sound gruesome. You can dig in with a smile knowing they are actually a devilishly fun take on the always popular Red Velvet recipe!
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter, softened, plus 4 tbsp.
- ¼ cup softened shortening
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 TBSP Red Velvet extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. Red gel food color
Other Awesome Recipes:
- Pork Chops with Fried Apples Recipe
- Winter Comfort Foods Made Healthy
- How to Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- The 5 Most Popular Holiday Soups You Must Try
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt altogether.
- Mix the dry ingredients with a wire whisk for 3 minutes
- In a separate bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter, shortening, and sugar until it is light and creamy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, red velvet extract, and red gel food coloring.
- Mix well.
- Add flour mix and milk, 1/2 portion of each at a time, mix until completely combined.
- Spoon the batter into the lined cupcake tins until 2/3’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes
- Remove from cupcake tins to a wire rack until totally cooled.
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 C. unsalted butter softened
- 1 C. cream cheese softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 C. powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until creamy.
- Mix on low.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until blended.
- Add vanilla and heavy whipping cream and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large frosting tip.
- Frost the cupcakes and place the icing transfer into the center of the cupcake
Blood Icing Ingredients:
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 C powder sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 rubber bbq brush
- red gel food coloring
- 1 package of Wilton edible knife icing transfers
Blood Icing Directions
- In a standing mixer, combine the egg white, cream of tartar, vanilla and powder sugar.
- Mix until white in color and stiff peaks about 7 minutes
- Mix in red food coloring
- Add a few more drops of red to get a deep shade of red, about 5 drops.
- If the icing is thick add in 1 tsp of water
- Place the cupcakes into an area where you won’t mind getting ‘blood’ on items
- Dip the bbq brush into the blood and shake the brush towards the cupcakes to give them the blood effect.
- Let dry for 10 minutes before enjoying.
If you have any spook-tastic recipes for Halloween, I would love to hear about them in a comment!
It would be awesome if you shared this post on Pinterest for others to see. Just click on one of the images above to save it for later!!