I very rarely use onions in any of my recipes because I can’t stand to cry over onion cutting! Thankfully I came across some great tips to eliminate the tears! I hope they help you as much as they’ve helped me.
5 Tips to Cut Onions Without Tears
1. Cut Under Running Water: This is pretty self explanatory, just chop your onions under some running water. The running water redirects the onion vapors away from your eyes, leaving you tear-free.
2. Soak it: Although this method makes your onions slightly milder, it works well in many foods. Just soak your onion in a bowl of water for about 15 minutes and then chop it. The water absorbs the onions sulfuric compounds, making their taste more mild and taking away the chemical release that causes your eyes to sting.
3. Freeze it: For this method, just pop your onion in the freezer for 15 minutes before you cut it. The cold keeps the onion from releasing it’s eye irritating chemicals.
4. Cut Under a Vent: If your kitchen has a good overhead fan, you can easily keep tears away. Just turn it on and chop your onions underneath it. The fan redirects the fumes to it and away from your eyes.
5. Wear Goggles: If none of the above methods work out for you or you just have no tolerance for the onion’s stinging effects, try a pair of goggles. While there are goggles made specifically for cutting onions, a pair of cheap swim goggles work just as well. This method keeps the fumes out of your eyes completely. And looks VERY stylish 😉
Have you found a way to cut onions with out it making you cry? Let us know.