When you become a mom bonding with them is sometimes natural. The feeling your heart feels is like a feeling you’ve never felt before. You thought to fall in love with a spouse or significant other was overwhelming but you have no idea until you meet your little one for the very first time. The feeling is indescribable. You will protect him or her from anyone or anything that may want to harm or misguide them. Sometimes life gets in the way and we lose track of bonding with him because we are too focused on the distractions around us. Today, I wanted to share 10 ways you can bond with your son that I think you will enjoy as well as them.
1. Reading – Having a special reading time together. This could be 15 minutes or more a day or pick one day a week that you will devote that time to just him. Let him read to you or if younger you read to him.
2. Coloring – Coloring for younger kids can be fun and relaxing for you. Just to take a few minutes or more to color a picture together or draw together.
3. Movie Time – Let him pick a movie and have a movie afternoon or night, possibly on the weekend just for you and him. Talk about the movie afterward if he’s old enough.
4. In the Kitchen – Boys love to see mom in the kitchen making goodies, lunch or dinner and sometimes want to pitch in. Create a fun dish together, bake cookies, cupcakes, cake and let them decorate it.
5. Game Time – Playing a kid-friendly game like Apples to Apples, Monopoly Junior, Go Fish Card Game, Connect 4, Trouble, Battleship, Twister, Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Jenga, or putting together a puzzle can be so much fun.
6. Build a Fort – This is one of my favorites that requires little effort but much fun. Building a fort in the house is super fun and easy. Grab some blankets, chairs, pillows and get to building your fort. This could be a hiding place for him, a place he can read books, or just talk and play with toys.
7. Talk – There is nothing a child loves to do more than talk. It seems they are full of millions of questions and before you can answer one he is asking you another.
8. Outdoors – There is nothing more a boy likes than to spend some time outdoors. It could be playing in the dirt, bird watching, going on a nature walk, blowing bubbles, swinging, playing hide and seek. There is so much you can do outside.
9. Teach him something New – Boys have curious little minds. They love to see how things work and love to ask you why. Take the time and teach him something new.
10. Mother & Son Date – This could be a road trip, ice cream, movies, miniature golf, go-carts, library, Fire Station, Police Station, a trip to the pet store.
These are just 10 ideas that I came up with but the options are unlimited on ways you can spend time with your son and bond with him. The most important things to remember is one on one time, and making it all about him. Let him take the lead if old enough to pick the place or thing he wants to do with you. Maybe he wants to show you something new or something that is really cool to him. Just remember to take time to avoid distractions, cell phone, house phone, or other interruptions that can easily distract you and him from bonding.
If you have some ideas that you love doing with your son I would love to hear them. Just comment below and share your ideas.